Skip to content


Program Description:
  • A Non-UMSL/Provider Program is any study abroad program offered by a Provider or University other than UMSL.
  • Students pay all tuition and fees directly to the host program provider.
  • Students earn transfer credit.
  • Host University or Program must be accredited by an American university or the Ministry of Higher Education of the host country.
Finding a Program
Travel Restrictions
Eligibility and Credit
Application Process
Financial Aid and Scholarships

If you are planning to participate on a non-UMSL program, you must contact the UMSL Study Abroad office for prior approval. Students are encouraged, if possible, to participate in a UMSL-sponsored study abroad program. There are over 100 opportunities, with programs available for the fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters. It is also generally less expensive to participate in a UMSL program than on a non-UMSL program. However, students may participate in approved non-UMSL programs when a UMSL program is not available (for example, Thailand or Argentina). UMSL Study Abroad is here to assist you with whatever qualified program you choose. There are literally hundreds of study abroad programs available. Some are more reputable than others, and the level of services provided will vary for each. Keep the following things in mind as you research programs:
  • Credit: Who is issuing the credit? It must be an accredited US or foreign institution. The study abroad coordinator can help you discern if your program is accredited.
  • Program Dates: Do they conflict with the semester dates at UMSL? For example, the fall semester in Germany is October – January. Therefore, you would not return in time for spring semester at UMSL.
  • Program Fee: What does this include? Sometimes it may include tuition, housing, excursions, etc. Sometimes it only includes tuition and other expenses are separate. Make sure you know the estimated costs for all expenses.
  • Language of Instruction: Are the classes taught in English or a foreign language? If your goal is to learn a foreign language, do they offer language classes at your level?
The University of Missouri System does not support any programs to countries for which the U.S. Department of State has issued Travel Warnings. According to the U.S. Department of State, "Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that Americans avoid a certain country." In an effort to ensure the health, safety, and security of its students and constituents, the University of Missouri adheres to these recommendations. If a student or constituent chooses to study in one of these countries against the advice of the University, he or she must take a leave of absence and will not have access to university support, resources, or facilities during that time. Students returning to UMSL will need to apply for readmission and will not be granted prior credit approval.

Students must be in good academic standing and have the recommendation of faculty members to study abroad. You must also meet any requirements specified by the study abroad program provider (such as minimum GPA, foreign language requirements, etc.). The credit earned from a non-UMSL study abroad program will be transfer credit. There is a preapproval process to have your courses evaluated before you study abroad so you will know exactly how your coursework will apply towards your UMSL degree. Students should speak with an academic adviser to ensure participation in a non-UMSL program will not affect university and departmental residency requirements. Your program must meet the necessary academic standards in order to qualify the credit as acceptable toward your degree at UMSL. You must make sure the program is accredited by the foreign country's ministry of education (or run through an accredited U.S. institution). The program provider or institution should be able to provide you with this information.

  1. Identify a study abroad program.
  2. Make an appointment to meet with the Study Abroad Coordinator to ensure that your program is accredited and to discuss any questions you have.
  3. Complete the application process at least 6 weeks prior to the start of your program. You will click "apply" through this page "Non-UMSL/Provider Program"
  4. Once you have been approved by UMSL to study abroad, you will complete the separate application process from your program provider. Any university approval signature form should be directed to the UMSL Study Abroad coordinators.
  5. UMSL Study Abroad will provide you with the appropriate paperwork to have your credit transfer pre-approved.
  6. All students must attend pre-departure orientation and purchase international health insurance. Information on both will be given to students through this application portal.
By working through UMSL Study Abroad, students maintain their enrollment at UMSL while studying abroad. If participating in an accredited study abroad program, students may use all of their federal financial aid and apply for additional loans if needed. UMSL aid may or may not apply and you should speak with the UMSL Office of Financial Aid for more information. The Office of International Studies and Programs distributes scholarships for study abroad; however, priority is given to students participating in UMSL sponsored programs. If you wish to be considered for Study Abroad scholarships, you must apply through the online Financial Aid application by the scholarship deadline.

Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Winter Intersession 2018 11/30/2017
Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Academic Year 2018-2019 02/23/2018
02/26/2018 TBA TBA
Fall 2018 02/23/2018
02/26/2018 TBA TBA
Summer 2018 06/01/2018 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Winter Intersession 2019 09/23/2018 09/24/2018 TBA TBA
Spring 2019 09/23/2018 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process.

Indicates that deadline has passed